Navajo Preparatory School has the following accreditations and certifications:
- Cognia Learning Community Accreditation
- New Mexico State Public Education Department, Certification recognizing AdvancED NCA-Navajo
- International Baccalaureate Organization, Authorized IB World School, Diploma Programme, Certificate of Authorization.
About the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at NPS
Identity and Purpose of the Navajo Preparatory School IB Programme
The International Baccalaureate Program is an integral part of Navajo Preparatory School. The purpose of the program is to provide students with an academically challenging high school education, which meets worldwide standards and criteria and is sanctioned by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO). Navajo Preparatory School became an authorized IB World School in 2014 to offer the programme to students in their Junior and Senior years of high school. As of Fall 2021, Navajo Prep is a candidate school for the Middle Years Programme (MYP) to offer this rigorous academic program to Freshmen and Sophomores as well. All courses taught at Navajo Preparatory School are designed with the philosophy and framework of the IB in mind.
The IB curriculum provides a cohesive and comprehensive liberal arts and sciences program of study for highly motivated students of differing educational backgrounds, abilities, and interests. It is not just a set of examinations, but a rigorous pre-university program, which will provide the basis for life-long education. The IB aims to provide a balanced program, which stimulates thought and creativity, and enhances the international perspective of students. Students who satisfy the demands of the programme demonstrate a strong commitment to learning, both in terms of mastery of content and the development of skills.
The purpose of the IB curriculum is to:
- educate young people to act intelligently and responsibly in a complex society;
- ensure knowledge of traditional academic disciplines and of the individual’s own heritage, while fostering inquisitiveness and openness to new ideas; and
- equip students with a genuine understanding of themselves and others, heightening the capacity for tolerance and engendering respect for different points of view.
All Juniors and Seniors have an opportunity to be a part of the IB Diploma Programme. Students can choose from two IB pathways:
- IB Diploma Programme (2-year program beginning their Junior year)
- 6 IB Courses completed in Junior and Senior Years
- Core Components of Theory of Knowledge, CAS Projects, and the Extended Essay
- Students sit for 6 exams in the Spring of their Senior year
- IB Course Certificate
- Students may select from 1 to 4 IB classes in which to complete a summative IB Exam in the Spring of their Senior year
What is the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO)?
The IB Diploma is one of the most well regarded and widely known secondary school qualifications in the world and is recognized by the world’s leading universities. The IBO was created in Geneva in 1963 by a group of member schools of the International Schools Association. These schools formed the International Schools Examination Syndicate (ISES) to plan a full curriculum and examination system. In 1968, the ISES changed its name to the International Baccalaureate Organization and was given legal status under the Swiss Civil Code. Navajo Preparatory School became a member IB school in January 2014.
The IB diploma is highly regarded for entry into universities throughout the world and for advanced placement at many colleges and universities in the United States and Canada. Oxford University was the first university to accept the IB diploma as an entrance qualification. Now universities world-wide recognize the diploma graduate as having completed one of the finest liberal arts educations available. More Information (PDF)
IB Learner Profile
The IB Learner Profile are attributes to develop the whole student. Navajo Prep values these traits, knowing they will help students to develop 21st Century skills to become active participants in multiple communities. NPS supports these traits in all disciplines and the development of life skills.
Navajo Prep students apply for admission into the IB Diploma Programme in the spring of their Sophomore year. Interested Sophomores need to download and complete the fillable application prior to the deadline. Completed applications and other required documents should be sent via email to the IB Coordinator prior to the deadline.
IB DP Application consists of the following:
- Personal Essay on IB Learner Profile trait – 250 to 300 words
- Completed Planned Course Selection
- Written Parent/Guardian Statement and Signature
- Academic Transcript (unofficial – obtain from Registrar)
- 2 NPS Teacher Recommendation forms (download and email to teachers)
IB Programme Application CO2024
IB Program Sophomores Presentation Slides
IB Handbooks and Documents
- IB Programme
- Navajo Preparatory IB
- IB Classes
IB Diploma Programme Policy & Practices
- Principles into Practice
- Programme Standards and Practice
- Academic Honesty
- Diploma Points Matrix
- Extended Essay Guide
- CAS – Creativity, Activity, Service Guide – see video below
We are a nonprofit institution. Download the 501(C)-(3) nonprofit certificate