Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) &
Mental Health – Student Assistance Team (MHSAT)
This form is for non-emergency situations.
IF THIS IS AN EMERGENCY: CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY!
For non-emergency call 505-330-9411
Please make a report if you encounter a person of concern whose behavior interferes with academic instruction and/or is as a safety concern to students, staff, or property. Warning Signs, Protocol and Guidelines are in the Behavioral Health Policy Handbook. Fill out the form to submit a report that will go to the Mental Health – Student Assistance Team (MHSAT).
What is the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT)?
The Navajo Preparatory School (NPS) Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) and Mental Health – Student Assistance Team (MH-SAT) has been created to provide caring, preventive, early intervention with individuals whose behaviors is disruptive or concerning. The Behavioral Intervention Team is an interdisciplinary committee of Navajo Prep staff who meet biweekly and as needed.
Educate the campus community about behaviors of concern and reporting procedures. A few of the core purposes of the BIT include these:
- Provide consultation and support to students in assisting individuals who display concerning or disruptive behaviors.
- Serve as the central point of contact for reporting behavior that deviates from the code of conduct and/or NPS Mental Health Policies & Procedures MH-SAT team meeting.
- Triage reports – identifying patterns of aberrant behaviors that might suggest the need for an intervention.
- Assess level of threat and level of risk.
- Follow a formalized protocol of instructions for communication, coordination, and intervention.
- Assess long and short-term success of interventions.
Mental Health – Student Assistance Team (MH-SAT)
- Joann Begay, Education Leadership MA.A. – Dean of Student Affairs
- Anthony Smith, LMSW, MSW – Student Support Services
- Debbie Fowler, Educational Leadership MA.A. – Academic Counselor
- Leland Becenti, MSW – Dean of Residential Life
- Karen Duncan, MS, RN – School Registered Nurse